Yes Ottawa is the capital city of Canada. But did you know that in Ottawa….
- About 25% of people that live in Ottawa were born outside of Canada.
- Almost half the population is under the age of 40 – that’s makes our population one of the youngest in Canada
- Ottawa is a multilingual city. Approximately 50% of people speak English, 32% French and the rest a mix of other languages including Chinese, Arabic, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese.
- There are 35 amazing festivals in Ottawa each year. The Canadian Tulip Festival, is the most famous of them all and is starts in May.
- The Ottawa receives more than 7.3 million visitors each year.
- Ottawa is ranked as being the most educated city in the country.
- Ottawa is the fourth cleanest city out of 300 major cities around the world – this is what Forbes says anyways.
- Moneysense has ranked Ottawa for three years running as the best city in Canada to live in.
- Of course the largest employer is the Federal Government.
- Ottawa is big on agricultural and we have more farmland than any other city in Canada.
- The Rideau Canal doesn’t stop in the winter. It is a 7.8 kilometer (4.7 miles) skating rink once the cold weather comes and you can skate your way into the downtown area. There are hundreds of thousands of skaters that come every winter for the annual Winterlude festival. You won’t want to miss out on the experience of the famous Beavertail too.
Ottawa is a great city to live and with it’s diverse cultures it’s also one of the most interesting places to live. So much to do and see. These are just a few fun and interesting facts about Ottawa. What’s your favourite thing to do in Ottawa?