We don’t think about floods in the Fall and Winter months but we sure do when we hear or read the news and find out about local areas that are under a flood watch. During any season it may not be visible to you that the home you are looking at is actually in a flood zone. We have some questions for you to ask your realtor even if the area looks pretty dry when you're seeing it because that may not be the case during every month of the year.
Questions You Really Should Ask:
- Has the basement ever been flooded?
- What repairs/replacements were done?
- Is there any mold anywhere?
- Was the furnace affected/repaired/replaced?
- Was any work done on the affected area done professionally?
- How many insurance claims have there been on this home?
- Is the house even insurable any more if there were claims made against it?
For Home Owners That Live In A Flood Area;
- Is it a good idea to know how to prepare your home, once you survived a flood?
- Do you really think it’s a good idea to finish your basement again?
- What precautions do you need to take to protect your home in case of a flood.
- If you would like to sell your home, what do you need to do to get it sell ready.
You may also like this article: Don't Lose Out Buying Your Dream Home